Wednesday, February 11, 2009

To Blog or Not To Blog - That is the Question

It has been a while since my last blog. Readjusting to life in America has been a little difficult. Not only do I miss the creature comforts of my life there, I also miss the warm friendships I had developed there.

Of course there are many things I enjoy about being back here -uninterrupted power, a reliable thermostat that maintains a comfortable temperature - being able to drive, better TV programs - yeah I know , it sounds a little lame.

This morning, after persuading several of my schoolmates to read my blog, I decided I too should go back and read. Some are pretty bad - but a few brought a smile to my face, and others took me back to that moment in time when I had experienced whatever it was I was writing about. And I actually enjoyed it.

It also reminded me of why I had started blogging in the first place - you've got to write a 1000 words a day on any topic if you really entertain the prospects of being a writer. I saw a little video of my favorite author Jeffrey Archer describing how he creates a book - he wakes up at 5:30 in the mornng and writes for 2 hours. He takes a 2 hour break and then writes again from 9:30-11:30. A 2 hour break and back to writing for 2 hours - 1:30-3:30 (no nap Jeffrey ?) and then another 2 hour break write for 2 more hours and etc. He writes for 8 hours every day. At the end of 1 year - he is ready to share the first draft with his editors.. Over 4000 hours to create the first draft. And he goes through a dozen drafts (though they don't all take that long). We're talking about 10,000 hours to write a book.

Even assuming I could strike up a plot that is generally in the same neighborhood as Jeffrey's (which may well be the larger problem), do I have the ability, discipline and resolve, to write for 8 hours a day ? Well, as long as I am gainfully employed, I won't have the opportunity to find out - no I don't want to hear any arguments of "there are 24 hours in a day" and you can work through the night - because I cannot. So maybe I should work on plot development. Or maybe I should just write a blog. Perhaps meaningless ones initially, until I can figure out how to capture the readers interest.

Yes while the question may well be "To blog or not to blog" the answer clearly is Blog Away......!!

1 comment:

  1. I've had your blog as a bookmark for ages, but haven't looked at it for quite a while. Interesting that I looked at it today, as I too often contemplate writing a book - you've given me good perspective on the time requirement. So, don't hold your breath, but if I ever do write something worthwhile I'll keep you posted. Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete