Thursday, July 10, 2008

Only in New York !

So I've been spending a lot of time in the Big Apple lately - and I must say I truly enjoy it.

From being able to travel the length and breadth of the city in a matter of minutes, being able to walk to Times Square and its associated attractions. hail a cab and get anyplace you want - all of these are very liberating. But there is also the huge variety of food - beautifully presented and always fresh.

So here are a few things that I thought were peculiar.

One Sunday afternoon - I took a cab to Brewster station and rode into the city. I arrived in NY with my work clothes and briefcase to pouring rain. There was a fellow selling umbrellas outside the station- but the umbrella did not have a prayer of protecting my luggage. And so, I stood under an awning watching the taxi line grow longer - cos I could not risk getting my work clothes wet. Finally, when it stopped raining - I joined the end of the line.... It was heartening to note that the policeman made sure that no one got a cab out of turn. Only in NY.........

I have seen rickshaws in many countries in the world. Certainly, in India, we are used to thinking of the rickshaw wallah as an exploited, aging man, who struggles through his day. So imagine my surprise when I was approached by a rickshaw wallah on the corner of 57th street and 5th Ave. He was young, white, very fit and very handsome. He looked like he was driving the rickshaw for sport. Only in NY.........

Leafing thru the book in the hotel - I realized that I was within walking distance of a Deepak Chopra center. And that they offered free Guided Meditation. So I thought I'd go and check it out.

It was in Times Square, adjacent to a large Social Club. I walked into that first - and was politely shown the way out.

The Deepak Chopra center is set up like any other New Age spa - though its basement meditation room is truly beautiful. At 6 in the evening , a few others arrived after work. The usual Yoga crowd - some pale, some soft and chubby and me.

The Guided meditation was led by a young white skinned woman who sounded like she had been raised in America. She could not have been more than 24 years old. She started the practice.
She asked us to think about who we were, and what we wanted.. and then without warning asked us to close our eyes and meditate. Fifteen minutes later she tinked a little bell - asked us to say Om and open our eyes.

I've been ripped off many times in the guise of yoga and meditation - but this really took the cake. Fortunately, this was also a free guided meditation, so all I lost was my time.. which in NY can be pretty darned expensive

1 comment:

  1. I've been struck by the same thing re: men, some more vigorous-looking than others, offering bicycle-rickshaw rides in NYC. Never thought about them till I lived in India for half a year in 2007.

    ReplyDelete