Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Das Sisters - Shant Foi

 Shant (Chandrakala) foi


Another tall woman, Shant foi bears a striking resemblance to papa, and at various times in my life I have looked remarkably like her. She was married to a young man from Ahmedabad with strong literary skills and a strong interest in Gujarati literature. They set up home in Bombay and had 3 children. Shant foi was also a multi-skilled, multi-talented woman who could do literally anything she set her mind to, and always moved onto the next thing before she had perfected the art of the first one. I see so much of her in me.

Their first home in Bombay was in the Bhuleshwar area but on the side closer to the Masjid Bunder docks. The day the ammunition ships exploded in the Bombay harbor, they lost all their worldly possessions and had to start life all over again.

Never reaching a stage of great financial wealth, Shant foi "made-do" , supplementing the family finances by taking on odd jobs and raised 3 fine children. I remember her as bold, almost audacious, in her approach and outlook to life and situations. I wish I knew more about her.